Editor’s note: Printed herein is the Charter of the City, as adopted in 1913, as amended. Amendments are indicated by parenthetical history notes following amended provisions. Amendments passed on or before July 9, 1954, are not listed in the history notes. Obvious misspellings have been corrected without notation. For stylistic purposes, a uniform system of headings and catchlines has been used. Additions made for clarity are indicated by brackets.
The editor’s note to the Charter as printed in the 1969 Code provided as follows: The catchlines appearing in boldface type at the beginning of each section of the Charter were supplied by the editors of the volume and are therefore not official. The word “commission” has been changed to “Council” throughout the Charter and amendments thereto, since the official name of the governing body of the City is now “City Council.”
State Law reference: Authority of City to frame its own charter, Az. Const. art. 13, § 2, A.R.S. §§ 9-281—9-283.