A. Purpose. Beyond wall height and setback standards for underlying residential zoning, the following provision allows variations along Camelback Road from 44th Street to the eastern City limits for the purpose of reducing the impact of Camelback Road on adjacent residentially zoned property.
B. Wall Provisions.
1. A six-foot high wall shall be allowed on any property line of residentially zoned property abutting Camelback Road, subject to:
a. Providing required visibility triangles at street intersections and at driveway openings;
b. Obtaining a construction permit.
2. Landscaping placed outside walls should be similar to existing Camelback Road landscaping themes and shall be from the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Low Water Using Plant List. Landscaping may also include citrus trees for property beyond the right-of-way. The landscaping plan is subject to Administrative Zoning Administrator approval. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the landscaped area.
3. Additional heights of walls may be permitted subject to a setback of four feet from the property line on Camelback Road for every one foot of additional wall height. Walls greater than six feet in height are subject to construction code provisions and require engineering review and a permit for construction.
5. Walls which meet the requirements of 1. and 3. above, may have the ability to wrap around corners at property lines. The extent to which these perpendicular walls wrap around corners shall be reviewed administratively by the Zoning Administrator for approval.
a. Perpendicular walls may be approved to a point equaling one-half of the distance between the wall parallel to Camelback Road and the required set back line for that location;
b. A finish treatment such as a column shall be placed at the end of all perpendicular walls;
c. Perpendicular walls shall be subject to providing required visibility triangles at street intersections and at driveway openings;
d. The applicant shall provide to the Zoning Administrator for administrative review original signed letters from adjacent property owners attesting that they approve of the plans for the wall to wrap adjacent to their property.
6. Except as provided in Section 7. below, wall height increases shall not be allowed beyond those which require a setback equaling one-half of the required side, rear or front yard setback at that location.
7. Additional wall heights, beyond those specified in sections 1. and 3. above, and the ability to wrap walls around corners for any walls which have additional height under the terms of this provision, shall be subject to the following conditions or limitations:
b. In addition to the findings set forth in Section 307.A.7, the following conditions shall be met:
(1) Additional wall heights—May be allowed upon approval of a use permit and upon showing that average noise levels in either rear yard areas or portions of a lot beyond the front of the dwelling will exceed be reduced below sixty-five dB and that constructing a wall as allowed in sections 1. and 3. above at the location proposed, will not serve to reduce the reading below sixty-five dB. The decibel readings shall be when determined in accordance with current standards issued by the U.S. Department of housing and urban development.
(2) Wrap around walls—Walls which meet the noise mitigation requirement described in (1) above, may be constructed perpendicular to Camelback Road to wrap around corners of properties. The extent to which these perpendicular walls wrap around corners shall be reviewed and approved by the Zoning Administrator when obtaining the use permit.
(i) Perpendicular walls may of a height equal to that approved by the Zoning Administrator. The noise mitigation information submitted for the use permit application shall provide the Zoning Administrator with an analysis of the extent to which the dB reading can be reduced by the proposed perpendicular wall. In no circumstance shall the perpendicular wall extend beyond the setback from the property line required for that location.
(ii) A finish treatment such as a column shall be placed at the end of all perpendicular walls.
(iii) Perpendicular walls shall be subject to providing required visibility triangles at street intersections and at driveway openings.
(3) The applicant shall provide the following additional information in conjunction with the use permit application:
(i) Evidence that notice of the date, time, place and nature of the request has been sent by first class mail to each real property owner, for properties which abut the subject property.
(ii) Evidence that notice of the date, time place and nature of the request has been sent to all homeowners associations registered with the City located within the Arcadia Camelback Special Planning District Boundaries.
8. Subject to Administrative Zoning Administrator approval, the wall shall consist of a masonry material and the design shall include the following features:
a. Be of a masonry material;
b. Be designed to integrate with the design of nearby walls with regard to color; texture and material.
c. Include a cap or decorative reveal at the top of the wall;
d. Include columns set off at all wall openings to create a finished appearance;
e. For every thirty feet of wall, provide offsets or columns will be provided.
9. Should the Zoning Administrator grant approval for perpendicular wall wraps pursuant to section 5. and 7. above, Zoning Administrator shall carefully analyze adjacent landowner letters of approval or disapproval, and may make changes to ensure consistency of wall standards and design as Zoning Administrator deems appropriate.
10. In the event that the Zoning Administrator makes changes to ensure consistency of wall wraps pursuant to section 9. above, adjacent landowners and the Arcadia Camelback Mountain Homeowners Association shall be notified in writing of the proposed changes.
11. Wall heights on sloping land shall be determined by standards contained in Section 703 of the Zoning Ordinance. (Ord. No. G-4339, 2001)